Denbigh (Dinbych) RFC | 2nd Team 11 - 13 Flint RFC | 1st Team
James Beresford
1 Conversion
2 Penalty
Scott Jones
1 Try

Match Report
10 December 2018 / Team News

Denbigh 11 Flint 13

Flint travelled over the border to face 2nd in the league Denbigh 2nds, who hadn't lost at home in the league this season. A tough encounter was therefore awaiting a Flint side that had been recently savaged by long term injuries to a number of their regular 1st team players. Flint won the toss and chose to play with the slope with the view to building a commanding lead by half time and then relying on the forwards superior fitness to take the game away from the home side up the slope in the 2nd half.

 The game got underway with Flint making a positive start, taking control in the set pieces, though some commanding lineout work by Josh Moss, Jack Douglas, Michael Warburton and Daniel Langford. Using their height and athletic presence, they produced a masterclass in lineout variety and at the scrum the Flint front 5 used their weight and strength to great advantage.

 At the breakdown, Flint were also dominant and with the ever-busy scrum half Jack Evans having another quality game. He fed his backs some quick ball, where centres Kieran Jones and Dan Stokes ran the ball straight and hard into the Denbigh defence where the Flint pack where at hand to recycle quick ball again. It was at the breakdown that Flint gained their first points of the day, when Denbigh where penalised for holding on and up stepped fullback James 'bezz' Beresford to slot over for 3 points 0-3.

 Soon after Flint got on the score sheet again, when after some exceptional link play, hooker Scott Jones went over for a try, converted by Beresford 0-10. Flint had the upper hand by now and should have taken advantage and built up a commanding lead for themselves going to the break. Unfortunately, they left at least two tries out there by not letting the ball do the work. Flint did gain another penalty for their efforts, but so did Denbigh and they went into the break with a disappointing 3-13 lead.

 Flint went into the second half knowing their fitness would see them through, but with Denbigh showing more vigour, Flint needed more than their fitness to see them through for a good away win. They needed to draw up some mental toughness and discipline, which they did plentifully showing great courage and determination, focusing entirely on their goal, an away win at all costs.

 Flint then lost the services of fullback Beresford (cramp) and saw 2nd row Ryan Jones, who was having an excellent all-round game, being put into the bin for a late tackle. With only one sub available, veteran 2nd row Phil Elder went into the boiler room and Flint had to play without a fullback for 10 minutes. Denbigh did manage to score a penalty and an unconverted try in this period 11-13. Jones came back on for the final 2 minutes going into the centre and Stokes moved to fullback, Flint dug deep to secure their well-deserved win, final score 11-13.

 To choose a man of the match proved very difficult with everyone putting in a team performance. Mention must be given to Captain Loz Rogers who led from the front, 2nd row Ryan Jones, back row Josh Moss, scrum half Jack Evans and centres Kieran Jones and Dan Stokes. From this group of players Dan Stokes was singled out as man of the match.

 TOM - Aled Davies

Report by Aled Davies


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos